Posts Tagged ‘Children’s Hospital of Pennsylvania’

With New Center Coming, Remembering The Southern Home For Destitute Children

With New Center Coming, Remembering The Southern Home For Destitute Children

April 2, 2015  |  History

The South Philadelphia Branch of the Free Library was recently leveled to make way for construction of the Community Health and Literacy Center, a wellness and educational partnership between Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, FLP, and the City. Long before the former library's tenure at Broad and Morris Streets, an orphanage claimed the large rectangular block from 1891 to 1960. HC contributor Sarah Kennedy got in touch with former residents of The Southern Home For Destitute Children, bringing up fond memories and a lasting affection for their childhood home away from home > more