If Holmesburg Prison isn’t haunted, it ought to be. The stone fortress was built in 1896, and quickly earned a reputation for violence. It was the site of the “Bake Oven” deaths in 1938, medical testing on prisoners in the 1960s, and the murder of the warden and deputy warden in 1973. The prison closed in 1995, when the Curran-Fromhold Correctional Facility (named after the murdered wardens) opened across State Road.
This summer, the Philadelphia Prison System allowed a group of photographers to document the decaying structures. We wish to thank Shawn Hawes, Public Information Officer with the Philadelphia Prison System, for her help in making this possible.
Here is a sampling of the work from seven of the participants.
See more of Mr. Krush’s work HERE
See more of Chandra’s work HERE
See more of Vince’s work HERE
Joseph E.B. Elliottt
See more of Joe’s work HERE
See more of Kurt’s work HERE
See more of Brendan’s work HERE
See more of Pete’s work HERE