Historic Designation For Suffragette Meeting House In Somerton

 

“A farmhouse on the Cranaleith Spiritual Center’s campus once served as a meeting place for leading suffragists including Susan B. Anthony during a period in history when women were banned from meeting openly.” | Photo: Maria Young, for the Northeast Times

“A farmhouse on the Cranaleith Spiritual Center’s campus once served as a meeting place for leading suffragists including Susan B. Anthony during a period in history when women were banned from meeting openly.” | Photo: Maria Young, for the Northeast Times

  • On October 29 the Cranaleith Spir­itu­al Cen­ter at Proctor Road & Edison Avenue in Somerton will celebrate its inclusion on the National Register of Historic Places, reports the Northeast Times. Constructed in 1891 for leading suffragette Rachel Foster Avery, the Victorian farmhouse hosted a few significant meetings of the national women’s right’s movement of the turn of the century. Purchased by Joseph C. Trainer in 1906, Cranaleith would see little in the way of alterations to architect Minerva Parker Nicholas’ design in the course of the Trainer family’s nine decades there.
  • Jake Blumgart reports that 23-years of stasis came to an end earlier this year for Germantown Avenue’s historic Loudoun Mansion as a judge approved the process of deaccessioning the 14-room mansion’s extensive historic collection from its years as a house museum. Natural Creativity, a non-profit that augments the education of homeschooled children, has expressed serious interest in signing a long-term lease and investing the estimated $500,000 needed to restore the building.
  • Given a press tour of the cramped quarters afforded to inmates within Philadelphia’s aging House of Corrections (1927), CBS Philly’s Cherri Gregg reports that maintenance challenges are preventing the Department of Prisons from expanding re-entry services for the mostly non-violent inmates there.
  • NewsWorks’ Peter Crimmins looks at the Barnes Foundation’s latest exhibition: a selection of fine art photography from fin de siècle Paris, called “Live and Life Will Give You Pictures: Masterworks of French Photography, 1890-1950.” The first such show of photography for the institution, in it we see the mass-produced camera finally closing the gap with mass-produced paints. The images, interested in many of the same visuals found in the Barnes’ usual impressionistic fare, emphasize line and shape, the drama of light. The exhibit runs through January 9, 2017.
  • Philly mag’s Dan McQuade settles a common query of the newly settled Philadelphian: why do Delaware Avenue and Columbus Boulevard—so obviously conceived as one continuous waterfront thoroughfare—have different names?
About the author

Stephen Currall recently received his BA in history from Arcadia University. Before beginning doctoral studies, he is pursuing his interest in local history, specifically just how Philadelphians engage their vibrant past. Besides skimming through 18th century letters, Steve is also interested in music and travel.

Send a message!



1 Comment


  1. A sad but hopeful turn of events at Loudon – long a favorite house of mine.

Leave a Reply

Comment moderation is enabled, no need to resubmit any comments posted.

 

Recent Posts
The Best Seats In The City, Ban Be Damned

The Best Seats In The City, Ban Be Damned

January 16, 2017  |  Buzz

Last week Friends of Rittenhouse Square and PPR announced a ban from sitting on the interior walls of Rittenhouse Square. Two days later Mayor Jim Kenney reversed the rule. We take a look at life along the balustrades in these old photos > more

Capturing The Ghosts Of Demolition

Capturing The Ghosts Of Demolition

January 13, 2017  |  Last Light

The demolition composites of photographer Andrew Evans beguile the eye with ghostly images of a city passing through time. Evans presents his newest additions to the series and explains his process with this photo essay > more

Pencoyd Bridge Reopens In Manayunk, As Redevelopment Of Foundry Site Begins

Pencoyd Bridge Reopens In Manayunk, As Redevelopment Of Foundry Site Begins

January 11, 2017  |  Vantage

The deserted industrial site of Pencoyd Iron Works is next on a growing list of riverside redevelopment along the Schuylkill. Contributor Mick Ricereto takes us deep inside the history of the family-owned foundry and farmland that dates back to the city's founding > more

Urban Fantasy: The Carousel Maker Of Broad & Erie

Urban Fantasy: The Carousel Maker Of Broad & Erie

January 10, 2017  |  The Shadow Knows

Traditional carousel design may have roots in Europe, but "Philadelphia Style" took the amusement ride to a whole new level. The Shadow takes a stroll down Germantown Avenue where the G.A. Dentzel Carousel Company became the gold standard in animal kingdom merry-go-rounds > more

Lost Buildings Of 2016

Lost Buildings Of 2016

December 30, 2016  |  Vantage

That cheery, time-honored tradition: the year-end list. Here on the Daily, that means a roundup of the year's demolitions in our World Heritage City. Brad Maule finds 2016's list warrants more than just a top ten > more

Unlisted Philadelphia: John Decker & Son

Unlisted Philadelphia: John Decker & Son

December 28, 2016  |  Vantage

Ben Leech spotlights unique and significant buildings not listed on the Philadelphia Register of Historic Places with his architectural illustration series, Unlisted Philadelphia. With this installment, a kingly cornice in Brewerytown > more