Royal Ceiling

September 7, 2011 |  by  |  Found  |  , ,

Anthropologie, 18th and Walnut. Photo: Peter Woodall

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Anthropologie’s flagship store at 18th and Walnut Streets contains a room featuring one of the city’s most opulent as well as unusual ceilings. The entire ceiling features a cluster of portraits of Italian princes encircled within three-dimensional gold frames. The 1898 mansion was originally Alexander Van Rensselaer’s home and later Penn Athletic Club’s clubhouse.  In 1982, Anthropologie’s predecessor, Urban Outfitters, moved into the three-story mansion. By that time, much of the interior had already been deconstructed.


View Larger Map

About the author

Rachel Hildebrandt, a recent graduate of PennDesign, is a native Philadelphian who is passionate about the changing city she inhabits. Before beginning her graduate studies in historic preservation with a focus on policy, Rachel obtained a B.A. in Psychology from Chestnut Hill College and co-authored two books, The Philadelphia Area Architecture of Horace Trumbauer (2009) and Oak Lane, Olney, and Logan (2011). She currently works as a program associate at Partners for Sacred Places.



2 Comments


  1. Is the ceiling an installation that was put up by Anthropologie?

    • Rachel Hildebrandt

      The ceiling is original to the mansion. According to a 1982 Philadelphia Inquirer article… “The spacious four-story building was built in 1897 by Alexander Van Rensselaer , for the widowed Sarah Drexel Fell and her four small children. The next year, he married her. In 1942, the building was bought by the Penn Athletic Club, which sold it in 1963 to the Presbyterian Ministers Fund, an insurance company for clergymen, but the club continued to lease the building until 1972. In 1975, after renovations costing more than $1.1 million and taking more than a year were completed, Design Research of Cambridge, Mass., became the first retail occupant. It went out of business in 1979. A wicker store, the Eclectic Co., did business there until August 1980, and the mansion has been unused since”… When the mansion was “renovated,” much of the interior was removed, but the awesome medallion-covered ceiling was spared.

Leave a Reply

Comment moderation is enabled, no need to resubmit any comments posted.

 

Recent Posts
Advocates Race Against The Clock To Save Terrace Hall

Advocates Race Against The Clock To Save Terrace Hall

August 26, 2016  |  News

In Wissahickon, an historic meeting hall on the eve of demolition gets a helping hand. Michael Bixler reports > more

Another Apartment Tower Announced For East Market

Another Apartment Tower Announced For East Market

August 25, 2016  |  Morning Blend

DC-based company envisions 21-story tower at 1199 Ludlow, Logan neighborhood plan approved, Philly’s love and hate relationship with Dîner en Blanc, and new law to make recreation spaces more inclusive > more

Community Meeting Reveals Widespread Indignation With Jewelers Row Demolition

Community Meeting Reveals Widespread Indignation With Jewelers Row Demolition

August 24, 2016  |  Morning Blend

Jewelers bemoan Toll Brothers plan, bowling lanes and movie screens coming to Canal Street entertainment district, ethnic masses sustaining several former Catholic parish churches, keeping libraries relevant, and an auto-garage conversion on North Broad > more

Unlisted Philadelphia: Substation #7

Unlisted Philadelphia: Substation #7

August 23, 2016  |  Vantage

Ben Leech spotlights unique and significant buildings not listed on the Philadelphia Register of Historic Places with his architectural illustration series, Unlisted Philadelphia. With this installment, an electrical substation in Art Deco disguise > more

Don't Move Frank, Says Smerconish

Don’t Move Frank, Says Smerconish

August 22, 2016  |  Morning Blend

Smerconish defends Rizzo statue, gauging South Philadelphians’ opinion on South Broad median parking, and 23 units envisioned for St. Laurentius > more

Razing A City In Haste: The Lesson Of The Horn Building

Razing A City In Haste: The Lesson Of The Horn Building

August 22, 2016  |  The Shadow Knows

The Shadow takes a look at indiscriminate demolition and the state of preservation in Philadelphia from the windows of the Horn Building > more